Combat in Genshin Impact focuses on the basic and advanced combat mechanics of the game. From indicating the movements/mechanics of the various weapons that can be equipped, combat mechanics, player and enemy combat details, and many more. This page covers information regarding the combat system of the game.
Genshin Impact Combat
Elemental Combat System Chart created by /sunmilk/.
There are 7 elements in the game and each Playable Character harnesses a unique element. These elements are:
- Anemo (Wind)
- Geo (Earth)
- Electro (Lightning)
- Dendro (Nature)
- Hydro (Water)
- Pyro (Fire)
- Cryo (Frost)
You can refer to the image above that is created by /sunmilk/ which indicates the effects of combining elemental attacks. So for example, if you have a character use an ability that focuses on Anemo, you can quickly switch to a character such as Amber who has the vision of Pyro. This creates a whirlwind of flames around the enemy. Another example is combining Hydro with Electro, enemies that are "Wet" takes even more damage if you follow up with an Electro based attack - so always experiment to see the various elemental combos that you can execute.
Negative Status Effects
Here is a list of negative status effects that are applied to Enemies and to the players. First off, Enemies:
- Hydro - Gives an enemy the 'Wet' status.
- Cryo - Slows the enemy's movement speed.
- Pyro - Burns an enemy, causing them to lose health over time until the status runs out.
- Geo - This will cause enemies to deal less elemental damage. Enemies will also drop a shield the player can use to protect themselves. The shield will be more effective against the enemy's elemental type but will disappear when its health has been reduced to 0.
- Electro - When standing in a body of water, an enemy will cause lightning to chain between multiple enemies.
And for the Players, here is a list of the effects that can be obtained:
- Hydro, Slowing Water - Increases the cooldown timers on your talents.
- Electro, Devouring lightning - Weakens the Elemental Burst talent energy usage.
- Cryo, Condensing Ice - Your character consumes more Stamina dodging and running.
- Pyro, Smoldering Flames - Burns the player, causing you to lose HP over time until the effect is worn off.
In Genshin Impact, you will encounter various enemies and bosses that are strong against certain elements, but at the same time, are weak to some. It's not about attacking your foes with your weapon, but you'll need to learn how to combine elements to execute a strong combo by yourself or with your friends in multiplayer.
- Overloaded - Large AoE Pyro damage happens when Electro meets Pyro or vice versa.
- Superconduct - Combine Electro and Cryo to create a large AoE Cryo damage, reduces enemy speed.
- Electro-Charged - Deals electro damage over time when Hydro is combined with Electro. This is probably the easiest to execute since you can find some enemies most of the time near a lake and are inflicted with the Wet status.
Order Specific Elemental Combos
For this list, players will need to follow a specific order of elements to execute an even more potent reaction than the regular ones.
- Swirl: Enemies must first be affected by Pyro, Electro, Hydro, or Cryo and then follow up with Anemo for the initial effect to spread wider.
- Burning: This burns the enemy over time and deals more damage than Pyro itself. Enemies must first be inflicted with Dendro and then follow up with Pyro.
- Frozen: Causes the enemy to be enclosed with ice, freezing them, and making the immobile. Hydro must first be inflicted, and then follow up with Cryo.
- Shattered: This breaks the enemy out of the Frozen effect and inflicts more Physical DMG. While the enemy is Frozen, follow up with a Heavy/Charged Attack.
Other Elemental Combos
- Inflicting Pyro and Cryo dispels both effects and deals 1.5 Cryo DMG.
- Cryo and Pryo dispel both effects and inflicts x2 Cryo DMG.
- Hydro and Pyro dispels both effects and inflicts x1.5 Pyro DMG.
- Pyro fand Hydro dispels both effects and deals x2 Hydro DMG.
Party Passive Bonuses
Once you reach Mondstadt, you'll be able to use your first Wish, and if you're lucky, apart from Amber being your first free party member, you might get 2 or 3 new playable characters that you can add to your active party. In Genshin Impact, you can select 4 playable characters to your team which you can then freely use and switch at all times during exploration and battle. Whenever you form a team, make sure to go to the Party Setup menu and check Elemental Resonance. You will find details on Party Passive Bonuses you can acquire depending on the members you've added to the party.
- Protective Canopy
- Have 4 different Elements active in your party.
- All Elemental RES +15%
- Impetuous Winds
- x2 Anemo elemental characters must be in the party.
- Decreases Stamina Consumption by 15%. Increases Movement SPD by 10%. Shortens Skill CD by 5%.
- Fervent Flames
- x2 Pyro elemental characters must be in the party
- Affected by Cryo for 40% less time. Increases ATK by 25%.
- Soothing Water
- x2 Hydro elemental characters must be in your party.
- Affected by Pyro for 40% less time. Increases incoming healing by 30%
- High Voltage
- x2 Electro elemental characters must be in your party.
- Affected by Hydro for 40% less time. Superconduct, Overloaded, and Electro-Charged have a 100% chance to generate an Electro Elemental Particle (CD: 5s)
- Shattering Ice
- x2 Cryo elemental characters must be in your party.
- Affected by Electro for 40% less time. Increases CRIT Rate against enemies that are Frozen or affected by Cryo by 15%.
- Enduring Rock
- x2 Geo elemental characters must be in your party.
- Increases resistance to interruption. When protected by a shield, increases Attack DMG by 15%.
Basic Combat Attacks
With the attack button, depending on the weapon that is used by your playable character, you can usually execute a string of combos of up to x5 hits. Some characters can execute up to 5 hits such as sword-wielders, while others like the catalyst can only perform a combo of up to 4 attacks. Basic attacks do not consume stamina, however, if you press and hold the attack button, you can execute a charged/strong/heavy attack that consumes stamina.